The Making of てるてる坊主 (Teru teru bōzu)

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

It was uncle Ben's idea to teach Cheryl how to make this てるてる坊主 (Teru teru bōzu)
Teru teru bōzu (Japanese: てるてる坊主; "shiny-shiny Buddhist priest"[1]) is a little traditional hand-made doll made of white paper or cloth that Japanese farmers began hanging outside of their window by a string. This amulet is supposed to have magical powers to bring good weather and to stop or prevent a rainy day. "Teru" is a Japanese verb which describes sunshine, and a "bōzu" is a Buddhist monk (compare the word bonze), or in modern slang, "bald-headed."
Teru teru bōzu became popular during the
Edo period among urban dwellers[2], whose children would make them the day before the good weather was desired and chant "Fine-weather priest, please let the weather be good tomorrow."[2]
Today, children make teru-teru-bōzu out of tissue paper or cotton and string and hang them from a window to wish for sunny weather, often before a school picnic day. Hanging it upside down - with its head pointing downside - acts like a prayer for rain. They are still a very common sight in Japan.

I don't have colour pencil at home so I use my blusher, yeah, is shattered or smashed if you wanna call it but it is my favourite colour and I can't find it anymore in Singapore. Kesalan Patharan was previously having (the only) one makeup counter at Bugis Seiyu(now BHG) and now, no where to be seen! I specially love their trio eye shadows ($36/each) and I was only able to collect 2 sets...sigh... I was so crazy about this korea brand that I spent quite a bit buying their make up kits and became their member. Anyone knows this brand and where is their new make up counter?

0 chirping: