GIVE me a GOOD Contractor pls...

Friday, June 13, 2008

Renovation is not a new thing to me and honestly speaking, I hate it. I hate going thru the list and meeting up with contractors and discussing the same things over and over and over again. Why can't they take out their pen and write down all the things I've mentioned so I don't have to call them up, email them again to say," you forgot to include..." and the best part is - NO RESPONSE !

I wanna be like others and "leave the rest to my contractor", well, only when I got a very responsible and good one. As I had very very nasty experience with this contractor - Zavier (Home Choice Design, IMM) and his workers in 2003, now, I am very careful, extra careful when come to quotations and hidden cost.

So far, I've met a few contractors, all recommended by friends and family :

Mr. Tan Cheng Chuan from Exquisite Art
He came on time for appointment. Advised to hack down the balcony wall as the tiles may fall off anytime. Well, I took his advice and added this into my list. He went around the place and said most things I've mentioned to him is minor and the quotation should be below $20k. I then waited patiently for his reply on the quotation and one week past. I am here to annouce Mr. Ah Chuan has gone MISSING !

Mr. Andy from Excel
Came across this name because he revamped a forum member's house for $40k. Thought it was very reasonable and got his no by owner of the Yishun Mais. Met up with Andy and his quotation was indeed very low and he seems like a nice guy. I told him we will only get our keys in June and hope to meet up with him again. Finally the day has come and I smsed him, he ignored me for many days and Nat was suggesting me to call him using her hp and he ANSWERED! He came over and gave me his quotation and said he will honour the quotation given to me in April but I can tell he is not keen to do our business. How can I trust a contractor who MIA even before the contract signed ? I wanted to see his workmanship but many excuses from him.

Mr. Benson Chng
A very nice and humble contractor recommended by friend. Everything was okay except the quotation. =(

Mr. Arthur
Recommended by my BIL's friend. He was the first one who emailed me the quotation and his charges is also quite high. LISTENED very carefully whatever things I said but missed out too many important things on his quote. Nevermind, I emailed him and requested him to add in those "empty space", yeah, I actually write out the list myself and you know what, Mr Arthur is way toooooo busy to entertain me.

Mr. Leow
My neighbour is a contractor! Easy going and anything also "can". His quotation is all right but I am still considering... because, I cannot stand Mrs. Leow.. Same thing, forgot a few things in his quote and now again, waiting for his latest quotation. We keep thinking, if we really get other people to renovate our place, will Mrs. Leow angry? But again, is our hard earn money and is really up to us to choose who we want, right?

Mr. Low from Boon Siew
Very nice contractor and highly recommended by Nat's colleague. When we were discussing about what and where to renovate, he took out his pen *yeah i raise my eyebrow* and write down everything on the floorplan given by me earlier on. I am still waiting for his quotation. If his can beat Mr. Leow's, I will definitely go for him !


0 chirping: